Dental implants offer patients the next best option to the real thing when needing to replace a missing tooth. Dental implants are strong, stable, and natural-looking in appearance and work to restore a lost tooth so that it functions, feels, and fits just like normal. Compared to other options, such as bridges or dentures, dental implants are the clear choice as they don’t interfere with your ability to eat, speak, smile, laugh, or perform other daily activities.
Dental implants can help you enjoy life without worrying about the state of your smile. With advanced dental implant technology, Dr. Reece uses at Advanced Dentistry of Kearney, you’ll no longer feel compelled to stay home or feel self-conscious while out in public worrying that your smile looks different. You certainly won’t have the worries that come with removable dentures or dental bridges becoming loose or even falling out when you talk, laugh, or eat.
According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, dental implants are artificial tooth roots placed in your jawbone to bond with your natural bone. They become a sturdy base for supporting one or more artificial teeth, called crowns. A connector, known as an abutment, is placed on the top of the dental implant to hold and support your crowns. The crowns are custom-made to match your natural teeth and fit your mouth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer several benefits to patients, including
- They are the strongest devices available to support replacement teeth.
- They allow new teeth to feel, look, and function naturally.
- They are the only dental restoration option that preserves natural bone, actually helping to stimulate bone growth.
- They are a long-term solution for replacing missing teeth. You don’t have to deal with uncomfortable dentures or have your good tooth structure removed to make a bridge.
- They allow you to live the way you want to–confidently eating, smiling, laughing, talking, kissing, and enjoying all of your everyday activities–without worrying about your teeth.
Benefits of a Dental Bridge
A dental bridge provides many benefits to patients, including:
- Restoring a natural smile
- Restoring the natural ability to chew
- Enhancing communication
- Recovering the form of teeth and hence, face and facial features will also remain in proper form.
Choose Dental Implants To Restore Your Smile
If you are interested in dental implants to restore your beautiful smile, call Advanced Dentistry of Kearney at (308) 237-1311 to set up a consultation.
Dental Implants FAQs
Anyone with a missing tooth who is healthy enough to undergo a routine dental extraction can be considered for dental implants. The only requirements are healthy gums and enough bone volume to hold the implant in place.
You would not be a good candidate for dental implants if
- You lack healthy bones or gums to the extent that surgery cannot take place.
- You are a heavy smoker.
- Your drink alcohol in excess.
- You have poor oral hygiene.
- You have chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- You have cancer and are undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- You have MRONJ (medication-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw).
To ensure our patients receive the best looking fit and feel for their dental implants, Dr. Reece utilizes cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT). This special type of x-ray equipment allows her to generate fully rendered 3D images of her patients’ soft tissues, teeth, bone structure, and nerve pathways, all with just one highly detailed scan. Unlike traditional dental x-rays that offer only a 2D image, CBCT allows Dr. Reece to view images in three dimensions, which not only enhances the scope of an examination but also allows her to share her findings digitally with other offices.
With the information provided by CBCT scans, Dr. Reece can determine the exact placement of a patient’s tooth relative to the position of their roots and nerves, gain a clear understanding of critical anatomical features, and choose the best course of treatment to fix any underlying dental issue.
Every patient is different, so there is no time estimate that fits all patients. After your consultation, Dr. Reece will provide you with a treatment plan, including the estimated amount of time to complete the process. The time estimate is based on your personal needs, medical and dental history, implant site condition, and the technique and materials used. Simple cases may be completed in a few short months, whereas more complex cases may take up to 1 year.
The cost of dental implants varies based on each patient’s individual needs, as well as the number of appointments needed and procedures performed. Dr. Reece will provide you with an estimate when your treatment plan is completed.
Dental implants are a good option for children who have lost their permanent teeth due to injury or accident. However, Dr. Reece will want to wait to perform the procedure until after your child’s facial growth and development have been completed. For boys, this generally occurs around age 20, and for girls, around age 18.
Many patients state that they tolerate the procedure(s) very well with minimal discomfort and pain afterward. They often report that they are able to return to work and their normal activities the next day.
The step-by-step process for placing dental implants includes:
- Removing the damaged tooth
- Preparing the jawbone (grafting), when needed
- Placing the dental implant
- Placing the abutment
- Placing the implant crown or implant prosthesis
Once the bone around the implant has healed, Dr. Reece will create a custom-made artificial tooth. If you need more than one tooth replaced, bridges or dentures will be crafted to fit your implants. The results will blend in beautifully with your natural teeth.
Dental implants can last for a very long time, as long as you care for them the way you care for your natural teeth--brush, floss, rinse and visit your dentist for regular check-ups.
Contact Advanced Dentistry of Kearney today at (308) 237-1311 to schedule an appointment for your Restorative Dental Care needs.